Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Histacom 2.0 What to expect
Question 
As the lead for the Histacom rewrite, I wanted to announce a few ideas, that are planned for 2.0.

1. No more Windows!
For 2.0, we will be taking a 'Game Dev Tycoon'-style approach to brands. This is to prevent any legal issues that could arise from using assets from other brands. This also gives us the ability to change more things and add more storyline into the game.

2. Cross-platform
Simply because we will not be using the .NET Framework for our rewrite means, we no longer have to be dependant on Windows, which is fantastic not only for our players, but our developers included. We hope to provide executables (and support) for as many operating system as we can (Windows, OSX, Linux, etc).

3. Great documentation
Currently, I am working on our documentation, and I plan for Histacom 2.x, to have great documentation in as many different languages as we can. The documentation will range from essentials to play to how to contribute to the game.

4. Language support
Not only will we try to make our documentation in multiple languages, we will try to make the game support multiple languages. This will encourage more players, and create a larger and more diverse community.

More information will come soon regarding what language we will rewrite in, and how to contribute.
Please discuss about this, and perhaps make some of your own suggestions for Histacom 2.0.
"1. No more Windows!
For 2.0, we will be taking a 'Game Dev Tycoon'-style approach to brands. This is to prevent any legal issues that could arise from using assets from other brands. This also gives us the ability to change more things and add more storyline into the game."

I seriously don't think Microsoft care about pre-Vista. I suggest that we add Ubuntu distros as well as Windows. As someone once said, "It's logical!"
HISTACOM LEAD DEVELOPER
jamierocks Wrote:1. No more Windows!
For 2.0, we will be taking a 'Game Dev Tycoon'-style approach to brands. This is to prevent any legal issues that could arise from using assets from
So, Windows would be renamed to Glass or something?
jamierocks Wrote:4. Language support
Not only will we try to make our documentation in multiple languages, we will try to make the game support multiple languages. This will encourage more players, and create a larger and more diverse community.
With this more people could play Histacom! Could I help translating the game to Dutch?
(01-04-2015, 02:45 PM)Runity Wrote:
jamierocks Wrote:1. No more Windows!
For 2.0, we will be taking a 'Game Dev Tycoon'-style approach to brands. This is to prevent any legal issues that could arise from using assets from
So, Windows would be renamed to Glass or something?
jamierocks Wrote:4. Language support
With this more people could play Histacom! Could I help translating the game to Dutch?
Yes what was Windows in 'old-style'-Histacom, will be renamed to something else... eg Glass or Curtains.

You sure can help translating to Dutch, we will (hopefully) be using Crowdin for translations.
I personally feel that it would make NO sense to do this. After all, there may already be legal issues because it's a mimic of the Windows UI.
HISTACOM LEAD DEVELOPER
If anyone needs helf for the Italian transtlation, i'm here.
I'm happy for this!
I personally think this makes NO actual sense. The UI elements of Windows will still stay, and a name change won't do much.
I'm keeping the latest source and will develop/do something else with it.

And jakeypearce, jamierocks just stole your Lead Developer status..
(08-04-2015, 08:17 AM)Nefario Wrote: I personally think this makes NO actual sense. The UI elements of Windows will still stay, and a name change won't do much.
I'm keeping the latest source and will develop/do something else with it.

And jakeypearce, jamierocks just stole your Lead Developer status..

I understand that, however the change isn't one taken lightly. The change, shouldn't make too much difference to the actual gameplay although will allow us to incorporate the OS and storyline more, without the worry of being incorrect.

I have not stolen any 'lead developer' status, Jakey is still the lead for the current version of Histacom, while I am the lead for the rewrite.
Also note that there will be two versions when the rewrite occurs. The VB.NET version which will be lead by me, and the Java version which will be lead by Jamie.
HISTACOM LEAD DEVELOPER
You can't still portray the history of computers, without using copyrighted names? I am not trying to create a Game Dev Tycoon clone, I just used Game Dev Tycoon as a reference. Tongue Also I can see why you think it's becoming more like ShiftOS, however I can assure you that I do not want that to happen, and nor do you by the sounds Big Grin